How It Works
The card works like this...parents put money on the card...like what they've already set aside for books, gas, clothes, vacations, or emergencies. They load money from their credit or debit card to give an allowance.
Then teens use the card at the mall, over the phone, even online, at over 20 million locations where Visa® is accepted. Sound like a credit card? It's not! Purchases are deducted immediately from the card. Balance too low? Sorry, no sale. Time to reload again! It's like cash, but smarter, safer, and a perfect tool for teaching teens about budgeting and financial responsibility.
Why It's Cool
- Freedom for teens to get what they need, when they need it...at stores, online, mail order, in emergencies...worldwide!
- Independence to make responsible purchases without having to borrow a credit card or carry lots of cash.
- Responsibility to manage a budget and save money.
- Easily reloadable by phone or online by parents when the balance is low or at regularly scheduled times.
- Extra savings with special deals from online and offline stores.
Why It's Responsible
- Introduces teens to budgeting because parents decide how much goes on the card and set maximum spending limits.
- Encourages financial accountability with online tracking of purchases, so parents and teens can talk about how to spend and budget responsibly.
- Helps teens become more "cents-ible" with budgeting and saving information included with the card and on the website.
- Secure because only the teen can use the card, and online account information is password protected.
- Safer than cash, because if it's lost or stolen, you're protected with Visa's Zero Liability policy.